-Father Thomas Bergin
Jay Gruska has done an amazing job on the score for this film. The score is the perfect compliment to the imagery, and, as the film was created at a time when television censorship standards were at their highest, it was up to the music and the imagery to help create and build suspense. Mr. Gruska has definitely taken the resources available to him, and created a score worthy of an emmy and an oscar.
Jay Gruska's Introduction
The following is on "Nightmare on the 13th Floor's composer/orchestrator Jay Gruska's Website:
The poster is pretty much all you need to know about the movie itself, but the style of orchestral writing was an interesting assignment in that it was to evoke a Hitchcock, which is to say, Bernard Hermann atmosphere. I was limited to a mid size string orchestra with 2 woodwinds, but thanks to the great musicians in L.A and Armin Steiner engineering at FOX studios, the right sound was made. Itís one of the first scores I orchestrated myself.
So how did he do it?
Read nottfo's Interview with Jay Gruska for more.
Note on "Ragtime Piano":
Whenever possible, files will come in multiple types to allow various ways in which it may be enjoyed. If certain types are not currently available, hopefully they be available soon. The row at the top lists the various files types while the first column lists what files are available. Click on the file type, if available, in the same row as the file you wish to view, and the song will pop up in the appropriate music player.
- In order to listen to these audio files you must have the appropriate player downloaded on your
computer or have an appropriate addon for your browser.
- Please do not link to these files on NOTTFO's servers.
- You are allowed to use these files, unaltered, but they must be saved onto your own machine, and
uploaded onto your own server.
- Linking to an audio file on this site will result in a non-functioning link.
- To save an audio file to your hard disk, press the right mouse button and select "Save Target As..."
or "Save Link As...". Mac users: hold your mouse button for two seconds over the download
option and select to save the file.
- Nightmare on the 13th Floor Online is not responsible for the actions of these files on your computer.
NOTTFO also does not offer techincal support for the use of these files. It is recommended
you read the documentation included with the file you download, if available.
- All appropriate credits go out to Jay Gruska, composer for the film, and of all these songs.